QR Code Scavenger Hunt

Today my students had a great time doing a QR code scavenger hunt. I used GOQR.ME to create QR codes that linked to questions about our National Symbols.  The QR codes look like this:

The students used a free QR reader app called Qrafter to scan each code.  Because I only have one iPad in the classroom, I asked the children to bring in iPads or iPods from home.  I have 20 students and 10 of them were able to bring in their own electronic devices so they were able to work in pairs on this scavenger hunt.  The children held up their devices and and scanned each code.

When they scanned the code, they were given a question to answer.  It looked like this:

There were 20 QR codes hidden around the room.  For some questions the students were also given a link to a website where they could find the answers. For other questions they used the computers to research the answer themselves.

The students were given one point for copying the question down correctly and another point for having the correct answer.

It was a fun activity for the kids that used technology and had them using teamwork to find out the facts instead of having me spoon feed it to them or read it from the text book.  If I do this activity again, I think I will use shorter questions. Some of the questions I used were from Scholastic’s Cyber Hunt and they were a bit lengthy which slowed up my 3rd graders.  The winning team scored 25 points and won a prize.

Here are some of my questions if you’d like to try it!

Part 2 QR Codes US facts

Do you think this would be fun to do? Anyone have any other ideas about how QR codes can be used in the classroom?

6 thoughts on “QR Code Scavenger Hunt

1. Hi Mrs Schmidt and class
    Greetings from Newcastle, in Australia. I love the look of the learning you’ve been doing using QR codes and using cool tools to expand what’s possible.

I was lucky enough to visit your state last June when I spoke at a conference in Philadelphia.

I’m going to share your blog link with lots of teachers I work with who blog at http://hccweb2.org It would be great if we could get some sharing happening between you guys and some Aussie kids !

Roger

• Roger,
      Thanks for visiting our blog! I’m glad our post will be able to help your teachers. We would love to get some connections going with the Aussie kids! We had Miss Wyatt from the Student Blogging Challenge visit us in October from Tasmania so we are very into Australia this year.

I was at the ISTE conference last year! Sorry I missed you! We are located about 30 minutes outside of Philly. I was lucky enough to visit your country in 2007 when my husband was on a business trip. It was exciting to hold a koala:)

You can email me via our contact form on here if you want to set up some connections this year.
      Mrs. Schmidt

2. Hi there Mrs. Schmidt and 3rd graders,
    I have really enjoyed reading about your scavenger hunt adventure with QR codes. The pictures of all of your learning are wonderful to see!
    I’m wondering, will you be posting on your own blogs what you’ve learned about our National Symbols? and sharing your feelings on using QR codes for learning?
    Lani

3. I am trying this project but having some trouble. Wondering how you get the question to come up in the top right after scanning the QR Code? Thanks and love your website!!