Hurricane Sandy Hits our Area

Our area took a direct hit from Hurricane Sandy over the last few days.  There was a lot of rain and gusting wind that sounded like a freight train. My family and I saw flashes of  blue light in the sky which turned out to be power transformers blowing!  It was very scary.  We are off from school all week mostly due to power outages.  There are several large trees down and debris all over.   Here is a photo of a downed tree and wires across the street from our school. Click HERE to read our Kidblog posts that the students wrote about their experience.

Photos From Hurricane Sandy on PhotoPeach

Watch this video of a nearby neighborhood where several large trees fell on the same street – Trees Down in Levittown Video

13 thoughts on “Hurricane Sandy Hits our Area

1. Hi Mrs Schmidt.
    We got gusty winds that gusted up to 90 mph! There is a big tree that fell on the ground in our backyard. It rainded for about 48 hours. Did any tree or did it flood in your area?

2. Hi Ryan,
    Glad you are safe! That wind was pretty scary! We had a tree fall in the woods behind our house but luckily it fell away from our house and into the woods. Thanks for the comment. If you email me a photo of the tree in your yard, I can post it on your Kidblog. Happy Halloween!
    Mrs. Schmidt

3. Hi,

I am glad you’re ok. I look forward to hearing about your experiences. Here in the UK we don’t really get anything comparable so I will be eager to show my class.

Miss Grantham

• Thanks for the comment Miss Grantham. We are happy that you could use our post for more learning. We hope to get more posts written about the storm next week when we get back into school.

4. Hi Mrs Schmidt’s Class
    We have been watching the news here in the UK and the hurricane looked very scary. We are also off school this week because we have school half term holiday. When we go back I will have the class read your blog and find out first hand what happened. I have been stuck in a hurricane as well. I was in holiday in Florida with my family and had to stay in America an extra 3 days because the airports were all closed. It was very scary but the hurricane did not look as powerful as the one you have all been through. Take care to you all.

• Glad you got home OK, Miss Oxlade! Florida experiences more hurricanes then our Eastern coast does so they are usually better prepared for them. But there wasn’t too much the poor people on the NJ and NY coasts could have done to prevent the massive damage Sandy caused.

5. G’day Mrs Schmidt and class,
    So glad you are all OK. It is that time of year again, just like the bad weather last year at the end of October when I got caught in your big snow storm.

Luckily in Tasmania, we only get bushfires and the occasional flooding.

• I remember that storm, Miss W. That was a freak snow storm which was way too early in the season for us. We never get snow until at least December. I remember that you only had thongs (flipflops) to wear so your feet were a bit cold during that storm:)

6. Dear Mrs Schmidt,
    hi, I’m Bronte from 4KJ. You left a comment on our blog a while ago. I have a blogging buddy called Tessa that’s in the hurricane. We were planning to Skype each other on Friday, but couldn’t because of the power going out.

Did you know that last week or so they foung a rib cage and spine attached to it under a tree that fell down? They planted the tree over a graveyard I think, not the best place for a giant tree.

Your blogging friend,
    Bronte (4KJ) :mrgreen: 😆

• Hi Bronte,
      What state is your buddy Tessa from? Bones under a tree are a bit scary. I agree – that is not the best place for a giant tree!

Did you have fun working on the Monster project? I think my students will enjoy looking at your examples next week if we get back into school. As of Saturday, our school still doesn’t have power yet:(
      Hope to talk to you again soon!
      Mrs. Schmidt

7. Bethany and I did two exiting things on the weekend.What me,Megan done was I went to see my dad at his new house.bethany was playingtug of war with her dog but Bethany shanney.But Bethany nearly broke her tooth.

8. Hi my dear
    I’ve studied your blog and I think it is very interesting.The video of Hurricane made me sorry about you and your nature. I hope every thing will recover soon. I’m a teacher. please visit my site, too.If you click on my picture in the homepage you can read my biography in English. I think it is interesting for you.
    I wish your success.
    Mostafa Pursina
    http://www.mostafapursina.com

9. Hi my dear
    I’ve studied your blog and I think it is very interesting.The video of Hurricane made me sorry about you and your nature. I hope every thing will recover soon.