Book Review for Willodeen by Katherine Applegate

I loved this book and read it in one sitting! It was a wonderful mix of reality and fantasy. The story is about a 10 year old girl named Willodeen who has suffered great loss. She is different and doesn’t always fit in, a theme that young readers will certainly understand and relate to. Willodeen feels more comfortable with nature than she does with people. She especially loves and closely observes one special kind of animal called a screecher that most others consider a nuisance or pest. The survival of her town depends on the arrival of the hummingbears each year who make beautiful bubble nests and bring in tourists. When the hummingbears dwindle and then don’t arrive at all, everyone is looking for a solution. Does Willodeen’s careful notes contain an answer to their problems? You will have to read it to find out! I am a middle school science teacher and I think this will be a wonderful read aloud for the beginning of the school year. Even though she doesn’t know it, Willodeen is a scientist. This will be a great example of real world science. Being observant and asking the right questions will lead you to the correct tests to run. This would also be a good book to read for Earth day because it has environmental themes as well. I think this book will be a big hit and I am thankful to NetGalley for giving me an advanced copy! #MiddleGradeFiction  #MiddleGradeFiction #NetGalley  #TinyGifts

One thought on “Book Review for Willodeen by Katherine Applegate